Monday, May 28, 2012


One of my favorite things is to go on adventures.  And…to have them turn into ones with added bonuses…over-the-top fun, fun, fun!  Some of my best adventures are the ones where I explore swap meets, thrift stores or garage sales, never quite knowing what to expect or what treasures I may find.  But one thing I do know is that these activities bring out a giddy little girl enthusiasm where my eyes sparkle with delight and I feel as bouncy and energized as Tigger from Winnie the Pooh.

Yesterday, I got to partake of my thrift store adventure fun.  It all began with my accompanying a friend to go and pick up a vacuum cleaner.  That went well and fine.  My friend now the proud owner of a lovely Dyson vacuum cleaner that works perfectly and fulfills their needs. 

Later in the day, some friends and I decided to track down a different thrift store I’d heard hosted a wealth of all sorts of treasures.  Going into the store, I wasn’t too impressed with the smaller size of the store, though there were lots of fun items to behold.  My friends and I had a great time sifting through things, many of which took us on jogs down memory lane.

When I go on thrift store adventures, it’s not like I enter with a concrete list of items I’m seeking.  Instead, I know of things that would be nice and leave my mind open and eyes free to wander the shelves to see what trinkets might jump out at me.  Several did so with yesterday’s explorations.

One of my friends had been wanting Pyrex measuring cups of one, two and also four-cup capacities.  Those are super rare finds at thrift stores, which makes them fun items to be on a quest for, since looking for them makes ones eyes scan the shelves with extra scrutiny. 

I was beyond thrilled when I found a four-cup Pyrex measurer.  It in hand, I bounded over to my friend with the same enthusiasm Tigger would have.  My friend was as excited as I was.  Going back to where I’d let off searching aisles, a few minutes later, I couldn’t believe my eyes when a one and then two-cup Pyrex measurers popped into view. 

A life-long thrift store shopper, I knew better than to walk away from them to go fetch my friend, so I snatched up the items and again bounded over to the friend, a wide grin of victory on my face.  This time my friend was floored at our good luck and my eagle eyes at spotting hard-to-see items on the shelf that have a tendency to blend in.

Just prior to mounting the stairs to enter the store when we arrived, I’d noticed a shipment of donated items that staff members were sifting through.  One of those had been a brand-new area rug that was still on its original heavy cardboard tube.  I’d made a mental note to ask about it once inside the store.  And that I did.  I was told that the items I’d seen had been donated but wouldn’t be sold.  Disappointed, I was surprised a moment later when the employee informed me that since the items had been donated, but weren’t ones they thought they could sell, there not being enough room in the store, that the items were up for grabs by anyone after the store closed.  I was stunned and my eyes twirled with unbridled enthusiasm of yet another adventure about to unfold. 

Not long after, my friends and I made our purchases and then left the store just prior to it closing.  We placed our items in our car and then went to take a look at the rug I’d seen earlier.  Much to our delight, there was an unprecedented crop of items that were to be tossed out.  We couldn’t figure any reason why the items were being tossed by the thrift store but were grateful that the manager had let us know of their existence and availability for the taking. 

Others people showed up by the pile of items, undoubtedly aware of how the thrift store discarded things every night.  I ended up getting the rug, fascinated with my catch.  Another of my friends scored on a lovely Lane Bryant cedar hope chest.  And then there was the surplus of perfectly good Pyrex, assorted, nesting bowls and also baking dishes that still more of my friends loaded up on to stock their kitchens.

Earlier in the day, I’d come across an adorable stuffed zebra that looked brand new.  Since I’m a huge fan of zebras, and it was less than a dollar, I got it.  My friends and I came up with the name Lucky, since I’d found the zebra while with my friend who purchased the vacuum.  By the end of the night, all of us were rubbing Lucky’s head as if he was the most incredible lucky rabbit’s foot, still unable to believe our good fortune with the to-be-discarded items outside our last thrift store stop of the night.

One just never knows what treasures they may find.  And oft, they’re plopped right in our laps…if only we’re willing to have an open mind to the possibilities.  Course, I still think Lucky the zebra may have had something to do with all our good luck….  : -)

No comments:

Post a Comment