Wednesday, May 2, 2012


There are times when I wonder why I’m routinely surrounded by so many extra-ordinary events.  Replying to a comment made by a reader earlier today, I realized the answer to that is simple.  Mine is not an ordinary life.  I opt to live life to its fullest.  As such, events and individuals that most might never experience surround me.  Sometimes this results in sad moments.  Other times are exhilarating.  One thing I have learned is that all these leave me a better person than I would have been had I not exposed myself.

Those who read my blogs are aware that I maintain a positive, can-do attitude as well as one of curious wonder that draws me in to experience all this wonderful life has to offer.  I’m not a complacent person who’s content to just go with the flow.  Personally, doing so drives me crazy.  Instead, my nature drives me to march in tune to the different drummer’s tune that plays in my head. 

My maternal grandparents were the same, always seeking new ways to view the world and those who inhabit it.  Like them, I actively seek adventures.  This doesn’t mean I have to trek out to Africa and go on some elaborate safari, though…that is one of the things on my bucket list.

I come from a long line of adventurers.  The women in my family are especially adept at going beyond the norm to soak up life’s wonders.  Case in point, my maternal great grandmother was one of the first women ever to go on an African safari during a time when women were thought to be the inferior species who wouldn’t be able to do such strenuous activities while surrounded by constant danger.  My great grandmother, standing at a mere five foot tall and weighing in at under100 pounds, was thrilled to prove them wrong while wearing the full-length frilly dresses of the time!

To me, life is meant to be experienced to its fullest while we can.  We’re only given one trip on this thing we call life, so why not make the most of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment