Thursday, May 17, 2012


Although my maternal grandmother lived on the east coast my entire life, her influence ran deep in my veins—so deep that I couldn’t help but wonder if it’s genetics.  The blood that we share runs so bindingly through our veins as to forever connect us in ways that defy reason or things we’ve been exposed to.  Case in point, we each share an uncanny ability to transform the forgotten and tossed aside into amazing creations that make others stop and take notice. 
When I moved to this house eleven years ago, I had a hodgepodge of pictures whose frames didn’t match.  In fact, their solid oak frames massively dated many of their frames.  Others were framed with lovely custom black frames.  That gave me an idea.  Why not rejuvenate the old dated frames by repainting them black?

I have always had the uncanny ability to see things visually in my mind.  This has helped me decorate in ways that are inexpensive yet rival the most accomplished interior decorator.  This is a skill I shared with my maternal grandmother who managed to self-decorate several of her houses and gardens into the centerfold pages of Better Home and Gardens and Sunset Magazine. 

Like I said, she lived on the east coast, me on the west, so we were a world apart, yet this skill ran deep in my veins.  So deep as to dive me to create marvels out of the things others tossed out with the trash.  One man’s trash is another’s treasure….  This I took to heart more times than not…still do….

Back to the pictures with outdated frames….

When I moved to this house eleven years ago, I suspected a simple trick would regenerate those frames to things of beauty that would literally make the images contained within pop.  I’m happy to say that my inexpensive trick worked! 

Did I forget to mention that I decorate on a miser’s budget?  That discount places and thrift stores are my frequent stomping grounds?  They are.  And when I rejuvenate something from the past, I take the same monetary precautions while making what was old new.  I economize.
So what was my secret for making what was old new and up-to-current-interior- decorating-standards and beyond?  Simple.  I repainted those old dated solid oak frames with black paint.  Simple semi-gloss paint purchased from a local craft store for less than $5.00 a bottle.  The results were amazing!  It’s incredible the transformation that takes place when frames are repainted black.  Just a simple black—nothing fancy…or expensive…just…black.   I suggest you try it.  Makes all frames somehow go together. 

Look around your house.  What frames are outdated or dull down the color tones of the pictures contained within?  Repainting those frames a semi-gloss black will rejuvenate them to take on a classic appearance, the images contained within literally popping

No comments:

Post a Comment