Wednesday, May 16, 2012


Recently, my youngest daughter has taken up running and hiking to stay fit.  I’ve been coaching her on how to keep her eyes open for rattle snakes, how they hide, what to do to not piss them off, etc.  One of the biggest tips I shared is how those snakes love to blend in with mottled shade tree patterns cast on the ground or how they adore laying the length of their bodies along the tops of cracks in the road or trail, no doubt because the coolness coming from beneath them is pleasing.

Ever since I rescued my two dogs, Sadie and Foster, I’ve taken them with me on runs and hikes and have been impressed with how wonderful they are when we encounter rattlesnakes.  Some dogs have an innate ability to piss off snakes just by being there.  Others act up, making the snakes coil into nervous striking poses as they rattle away.  Sadie and Foster have always taken note of snakes and yet have never done anything to irritate them.  In fact, it’s almost uncanny how calm they and the snakes we encounter are when face-to-face.

Yesterday, I was quick walking Sadie and Foster along the streets of a hilly area by my house.  This area has no sidewalks, the hillsides slope directly off the edge of the road and trees line the street, casting their mottled patterns on the ground.  Also, the pavement is old and crisscrossed with a heavy patchwork of cracks.  All these conditions make it prime area for rattlers to hang out.

We three walked on a downward slope, Sadie on my left, Foster to my right, each of their leashes held with no slack.  All of a sudden, Sadie made an abrupt stop and sat down.  The next second, Foster took her cue and held back, though didn’t sit.  I was still moving forward, unable to react yet, and was pulled back, right foot hovering midair as the leashes tugged against me.  Still frozen in that pose, I looked from Sadie to Foster, each of who were perfectly calm and looked back at me as if silently counting off in their head how many seconds it would take for me to process what they’d done. 

Looking at my right foot, still raised above the ground, I noticed a four-foot long rattlesnake directly under it!  Had Sadie and Foster not stopped as they had, my foot would have landed squarely on the snake! 

Geez!

Knowing not to make any sudden moves as the snake lay there, watching us three, I took a step back to join my dogs and coaxed my heart t slow to a more normal beat as I remembered to breathe.  Taking a closer look, I was stunned at how well the snake blended in.  The entire length of its body was stretched over a crack in the pavement, which just so happened to fall in and out of the edges of a mottled shady pattern cast by the trees above.  This was the exact circumstance I’d warned my daughter about.  And though I’m quite accustomed to encountering snakes, it never ceases to amaze me just how well they can blend in, despite my looking for them.

Thank goodness I had Sadie and Foster with me, for their keen senses and calm actions no doubt saved me from a nasty snakebite!

Giving the snake a wide birth, I led Sadie and Foster around and away from the snake.   When we were a safe distance, I leaned down and wrapped them both in an affectionate group hug, praising them for their actions.  Their tails thump, thump, thumped the air as they sank into my hug, pleased they’d saved their mommy from harm.

Such great dogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment