Monday, September 19, 2011


Years ago, I had a half German Shepherd half Great Dane dog.  He was incredibly smart, gentle as could be and a ball to play with.  One of his favorite games was to seek out things with his nose.  He got to be so good at this that I often found myself wondering if he was also part Bloodhound.

We’d play all sorts of find-it-with-your-nose games.  One he especially enjoyed was to be kept in a different room on a sit stay command as I went from here to there, ultimately hiding myself away from his vision.  When he was released, my dog would follow his nose to where I was by literally sniffing out the exact route I’d taken to my hiding place.  Didn’t matter how many twists or turns I’d taken to try to confuse him, my clever dog always followed the route I’d taken, in the exact order, ultimately arriving at my feet where he’d sit, wagging his tail overjoyed with his accomplishment and my praise.

Another game he loved to play was to find the last dog toy I’d touched.  Usually, I’d play this with a bunch of tennis balls.  I’d place them in a pile off to the side in a different room.  Then I’d play fetch with only one of the balls.  After a bit, I’d place my dog on a sit stay, head into the other room, and bury the ball we’d just played with amongst the other tennis balls.  Then I’d call in my dog and tell him to “find it.”  Without fail, tennis balls being knocked this way and that, my dog would find the exact ball we’d just played with in record time.

My new dog, Sadie, is just as smart as my dog of years past and equally fun to play with.  Though she doesn’t have the same sense of smell as my dog of years-gone-by, she does have an uncanny cat-like manner in which she predicts where I’m going to throw a toy. 

A natural-born fetcher, Sadie will play until she drops.  If she could I think she’d play fetch in her sleep if it weren’t for the fact that every once in a while she has to actually rest.  No matter how many times I throw her a toy, Sadie will always bring it right back to me, placing it at me feet and then patiently waiting for me to throw it again. 

Like my sniffer-gifted dog of the past, Sadie takes her favorite game, fetching, to an all-time level.  Just as a cat will watch, it’s eyes dilating to huge dark circles to observe the slightest alteration in possible direction an item might go, Sadie does the same.  She even goes so far as to stop breathing once I pick up the toy and begin teasing her with which direction I might throw it. 

Sadie’s eyes dilate, her breathing stops, her tail freezes midair, and she watches for the slightest indication of which direction her toy will be hurled.  Could be something as simple as a twitch of my pinkie or slight shifting of my body weight.  But no matter what the tell, Sadie almost always heads off in the direction I’m about to launch her toy a split second prior to my letting it go.

Today, our youngest son was playing with a remote-controlled car while Sadie was in the room.  I couldn’t help but think that the car might not be long for the world, my suspecting that Sadie would pounce in it as if it were her newest fetch toy.  But I was wrong.  Instead of launching herself at the toy car, Sadie kept moving out of its way.

Hmmm…

After watching her for a short while, my son and I puzzling over her behavior, I realized what she was doing.  Sadie was trying to find a way to sneak in behind the car.  Every time the car would approach her, Sadie would hide behind my legs.  But then, once she was sure the car was going to continue on, she’d come out from her hiding place and follow it.

Now here’s the odd part.  As I mentioned, Sadie is a natural-born fetcher, so, I would have thought she’d have pounced at the opportunity to “get” the car and bring it to me.  But she didn’t.  Never once did Sadie try to take the remote car in her mouth.  It was like she was smart enough to know that it wasn’t hers.  That it was okay for her to be entertained by it, but that she wasn’t supposed to place it in her mouth.

As I write this, I can hear my son again driving his remote-controlled car in the other room.  Meanwhile, Sadie is also aware.  Only this time, she’s got better things to do than to follow the car.  Right now, she’s far more preoccupied with laying a short distance away from me, barely breathing, as she waits patiently for me to pick up the toy she’s delivered at me feet, for the hundredth time tonight, and have me toss it to her again…and again…and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment