Monday, November 14, 2011


There are times when living beings get a second chance. 

A couple of months back, I adopted a dog, Sadie, who’s turned out to be an absolute joy.  Not only is she sweet and gentle, playful as can be and can keep up with my running pace, but she’s also am amazing companion.  Today, I had the opportunity to reunite her with a special someone—her son. 

Sadie and her son, Foster, have lived with only a fence separating them since the day Foster was born.  When I adopted Sadie, Foster remained with his family who loved him.  Unfortunately, circumstances changed with the family needing to relocate to San Diego for job purposes.  Where they’ll be living is in an apartment where they cannot have a dog.  Heartbroken, they turned toward me.

I thought about reuniting the two dogs and decided to give it a try.  Today was the day that Foster got to come to our house and meet everyone.  He’s passed through that with flying colors! 

Already used to being around both a nine-month and fifteen-month old grandchild, Foster was a dream when I introduced him to my fifteen-month old granddaughter.  With her, he’s been gentle and loving, giving her soft kisses on the tip of her nose, which make her open her mouth into a giant O and then giggle. 

When Foster met our older female dog, Cleo, the two hit it right off.  Then there was the reunion of Foster with his mom, Sadie.  It was heartwarming to see the sheer joy each expressed as they raced after and tackled one another.  They spent the majority of the day following one another around, chasing after toys together and sharing with one another.
With people, Foster is a social butterfly who conducts himself with dignity and a gentle grace, despite his larger size.  His fur is more of a collie’s, and I had to laugh when my daughter made the comment, “His hair is nicer than mine.”  Actually, his fur coat is nicer than either of our hair.  LOL.

As I write this, Foster and Sadie are lying under my desk in my office, looking up at me with rapt focus.  Every now and again, one will lean towards the other and touch the tip of their noses together as if they can’t believe their good fortune at being reunited.  That melts my heart.

It’s nice to be a part of living beings getting a second chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment