Tuesday, November 1, 2011


Years back, I gave a lecture on sound—how it can evoke a wide variety of sentiments in us.  In that talk, I shared how hearing a song can instantly transport us through time and space back to an exact moment when we first heard it.  Or how that same song can cause us to well up with emotions that have no choice but to overflow.

Today, my mind’s been playing with a similar concept.  Throughout my day, I’ve paid close attention to tactile feelings.  How they evoke a variety of reactions in me.  The gentle breeze of the overhead fan in my office makes me think I’m exploring a lush canyon.  The bright sunlight, shining through my window, causes me to squint and reminds me of days spent relaxing on the beach or at the river.  Having my dog, Sadie, rub up against my leg triggers a warm happy feeling.  Her soft fur comforts me as if I’m wrapped in the most delectable blanket.

There are days when I get so caught up in what I’m doing that I forget to pause and appreciate these simple pleasures.  Enjoy how they make me feel.  For some reason, today’s not one of those.  Though I’m busy getting work done, the subtle nuances of tactile feeling are getting through to me in pleasing ways.  For that, I’m grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment