Monday, December 12, 2011


Three weeks ago, I adopted a dog, Foster, the son of my female Bossie, Sadie.  The day he came to my house to meet me, he promptly fell in the swimming pool and had to be pulled out, unable to do so on his own, even though his rear legs rested on a seat in the deep end.  
Two days later, he again fell in the pool, having to be rescued despite his back feet resting on a seat that could’ve easily allowed him to climb out of the pool.  But instead of seeing that possibility, Foster again panicked and clung to the side of the pool with all his might.

Knowing that I had a potentially lethal situation with Foster and the pool, that same day, I attached a leash to his collar, went in the pool with him and had him swim around to each seat and step area and then climb out on his own.  We went in the pool over and over again until he had managed to get out of every possible exit point in the pool.  Satisfied with Foster’s ability to get out of the pool, I thought the problem was solved.  But I was wrong.

One week later, Foster again fell in the pool and had to be rescued.  This time, as with the last, his back feet rested on one of the seats in the pool, but he was too panicked to climb out on his own.  I pondered what to do in order to get Foster over his fear of the pool before he had the chance to fall in again.  But before I could come up with a solution, he again fell in the water, this time in the Jacuzzi. 

His mother, Sadie, as always, was by his side and frantically barked, running this way and that from Foster’s location up to the back of the house, to get someone’s attention.  Realizing something was wrong from the insistence and tone of Sadie’s barking, I went out to her.  Just as I exited the house and caught sight of the pool, I noticed the deck around the Jacuzzi drenched in water.  Then, from around the corner, Foster, who had already been rescued from the water, came trotting over to me.  I was relieved to see him safe but still concerned. 

Each time Foster’s fallen in the water, he’s panicked and has been unable to extricate himself.  While working as a veterinarian technician, I was made aware of clients whose dogs drowned because, like Foster, they’d panic when they fell in the water.  Currently, I’m at a loss of what else I can do to help Foster learn to get out of the pool on his own.  Though I’ve had swimming pools with every dog I’ve ever owned, I’ve never had a dog that I couldn’t teach to get out of the water on their own.  Likewise, I’ve never had a dog that panics when they fall in the water.

It’s not that Foster doesn’t know how to get out of the water on his own.  He proved he could when I went in the water with him.  But when he falls in on his own, that’s when he panics and is unable to think rationally.  Well, perhaps that’s not entirely true, since he does seem to end up with his rear legs resting on a seat or step each time I find him in the water.  I can’t imagine that Foster’s randomly falling in where there’s a step or seat every time.  But why then won’t he hoist himself out of the water?  Why does he wait there, shivering and panicked until someone comes to get him?  And what if someone isn’t there the next time he falls in? 

These are the thoughts that swirl around my head, making me cringe each time I look out at the pool or can’t see Foster as soon as I look out the back door.  If anyone has any suggestions, I’m open to hearing and trying them….

No comments:

Post a Comment