Monday, December 5, 2011


To me, it seems odd and yet strangely fitting when we start processes that begin the unwinding of events that will take us to new places, ending eras of time that we’ve come to accept as the norm.

This morning, my youngest son had his braces put on.  A natural event…and yet…it seemed…so strange.  As I sat in the office going over the paperwork beforehand, a process I’ve done in that exact office three other times with each of my other children, I couldn’t help but feel a bit perplexed, bedazzled and at peace.

I was perplexed, because I wondered where the other years of braces with my now-grown children had gone.  To think that I was now sitting in the office, beginning that process with my youngest son seemed fitting, like it was delivering a sort of closure.  I was bedazzled to think that by the time this son’s braces come off, he’ll already have taken his Senior school picture, selected which college he’ll be attending and mentally preparing to move on.  Finally, I was at peace, knowing this was the right order of things.  That to every era, there needs to be an end.  For me, sitting in that doctor’s office was the beginning of that end.   

No comments:

Post a Comment