Thursday, December 22, 2011


Christmas is coming.  The goose is getting fat.  Please do put a penny in the old man’s hat.  If you haven’t got a penny, a half penny will do.  If you haven’t got a half penny, then God bless you.  This song popped in my head this morning as the Christmas hustle and bustle nears its climactic end.  With it, I pondered just how commercialized Christmas has become.

A number of months back, my friends and I were talking about this and how we’d rather honor a person’s birthday in a more significant manner than buy tons of gifts for Christmas.  In recent years, whenever asked what I want for Christmas, I struggle to come up with a list of even a few items.  Not that I wouldn’t like to have gifts.  I would.  But for me, the real joy of Christmas is watching others be happy. 

There’s nothing I like more on Christmas morning than to curl up in an over-stuffed chair, a steaming mug of coffee in my hand, watching others open their presents.  To me, things aren’t what bring about happiness.  It’s the act of giving what money can’t buy—one’s time, devotion, affection, etc.  A pat on the head, a comment telling me I’ve done a good job or that I’m appreciated…these are the gifts I treasure most.  A smile, nod or warm embrace, these are the gifts that melt my heart.

When my oldest daughter asked me what I wanted for Christmas this year, instead of giving her a list of one or two items I would have struggled to come up with, I told her the truth.  All I want is for my children to be happy.  I don’t need or want anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment