Thursday, March 22, 2012


Not long ago, I blogged about how, as a writer, I enjoy underlining words and phrases in books I read.  Sometimes I do so to further my vocabulary.  Other times, I just like the way an author fits seemingly disjointed words together.  Still more times, I appreciate when an author takes creative license by using words that have specific meanings as something entirely different.  

I came across one of the latter the other day.  The author wrote, “Consider one unfortunate cul de sac of our language.”  At first glance, the words have a nice poetic flow to them.  Look a little deeper, and one garners a mental visual that’s pleasing.  Closer scrutiny reveals how double entendres mirror actual cul de sacs where one is forced in through one opening, circles around a bit and then exits by means of the way they entered.

Allow me to elaborate.   The author used examples of these language cul de sacs, explaining how when a person says, “I don’t care,” it’s not that they don’t care or have an opinion, but rather that they don’t believe their opinion matters, or just as easily, it could be that the person is in support of the suggestion, thinking it’s a great idea.  Another example of these double entendre vocab cul de sacs is when someone says, “Sure, go ahead,” when asked by someone if it’s okay for that person to go out with other friends.  The recipient might take that to mean the speaker’s in full support, when in actuality they’re jealous and will likely sit home alone, pouting, while the other person goes out and has a great time.

I wonder if others are as intrigued with the methodology of how words are coupled together such as my example of vocabulary cul de sacs?  Or is this something unique to me as a writer?  All I know is that I’ve been fascinated with how words can be strung together for as long as I can recall.  How those same words, if directly translated, would mean nothing even close to what’s intended, but somehow, when joined in a common thought phrase, they create a lasting image that exactly depicts what the speaker intended.  I imagine this has got to drive those to whom English isn’t a first language batty.  But for me, I’m intrigued and smile while underlining nuggets of literary wisdom I come across.   

No comments:

Post a Comment