Wednesday, March 29, 2012


Nothing like having to take an antibiotic and having an intense allergic reaction.  Only rarely can I consume medications without some sort of complications, but this time was over the top.  Years, back, I learned I was allergic to erythromycin.  Within twenty minutes of taking it, I felt like my head was in a vice, felt sick to my stomach, every part of me hurt like a prize fighter had beat me up and I was suddenly tired—so very tired.  In addition, as if the other reactions weren’t enough to convince me to never take the drug again, I felt like I was some drug addict having terrible withdrawals.  Like everything I heard was fuzzy.  And like I wasn’t one with my body.

Flash forward to yesterday when I went to my doctor and needed an antibiotic.  Aware of my allergy to erythromycin, she was careful to prescribe something not anywhere near from the same drug family.  But…as my luck would have it, within twenty minutes of taking the offensive drug, my body reacted the same as it does to erythromycin.  Not good!

So picture this, there I am, having to drive my youngest son here, there and everywhere and take him to open house at his school that evening.  All this while I could barely function.  I managed to make it through yesterday.  But by the time I was at open house, I was literally crawling at a slug’s pace, it being an extreme effort to lift each of my feet to walk the campus.  Did I mention I run marathons and don’t get tired?  LOL.

After open house, I came home.  It was only 8PM, but I was so exhausted that I poured myself into bed and slept for the next sixteen hours, only waking long enough to drive my son to school in the morning then going back to bed.  Finally able to pull myself from sleep, I decided against taking any more of the antibiotics and headed to my doctor’s office to get a new prescription.  Thankfully, they gave me one I’ve had in the past without any ill side effects. 

So, things are slowly getting back on track.  I’m feeling better by the hour and will discard the other antibiotic so I don’t ever take it by accident.

No comments:

Post a Comment