Friday, October 9, 2010

Since I had just written a few days ago about how my third manuscript in the Little Girl Lost Trilogy is coming, I hadn’t expected to revisit that subject for a bit. But then today came along and with it a great amount of writing I got accomplished.

I set out to write one of the final five chapters of the book. As my thoughts flowed free, translating through my fingers, keyboard and into my computer, it became clear, early on with that chapter that it would need to be split into two. So, at the end of a scene, a natural breaking point, I did just that, ended the one chapter. Since it had been a rather intense chapter, I took a break from writing for a couple of hours and then began another. But…that chapter grew and grew, until I worried if it might be too long.

By the time I was done, that chapter turned out to be the longest in the book, but oh, what a worthwhile chapter it is. It’s full of white-knuckling suspense that had me nearly jumping out of my skin while writing it. And I believe that’s a good thing, though it does take a lot out of me to scribe chapters such as those. I look at it this way. If I hope to keep my readers entertained by being held in tight suspense, then I, as the author, must, too, be held in a state of tight suspense while creating the scene.

And here’s the bonus. As I wrote those two chapters, I was surprised several times by things I hadn’t known a character had done or things others had endured. I love, love, love it when I get surprised like that! Absolutely makes my day!

No comments:

Post a Comment