Wednesday, October 27, 2010

My son and I went on our date this afternoon to McDonald’s. Neither of us was very hungry, so we just got a snack. Munching on his fries, my son told me of a discussion he’d had with a fellow classmate earlier in the day. That individual was convinced that if a person ate at McDonalds, Carl’s Jr., Del Taco, or any other fast food restaurants, they would get fat. The person went on to claim that kids who partake of that food while growing up will have children who will also be overweight.

My son tried to explain that eating fast food in moderation would not make you or your offspring fat. But the other boy wouldn’t believe him, insisting that eating fast food at all was an automatic ticket to become overweight. And that’s when things got a little interesting.

The other boy, convinced that he was right, then called my son fat. Now that’s pretty funny, and my son found it such, for he is in top physical condition, active in sports and runs a six-minute mile—not exactly the makings of one who has a weight problem. The boy went on to tell my son that he, my son, was the problem with why everyone is fat in this country.

What?!

Instead of getting upset with the other boy, my son continued to try to reason that any food can make one fat, if it is consumed in excess. But if healthy eating habits are established and blended with regular exercise, then indulging in less-than-healthy foods every once in a while is fine.

The boy, however, wanted nothing to do with this line of reasoning, standing firm by his conviction that eating fast food, even once as he claimed, would make a person overweight. By this time, other students had joined in the discussion, also trying to convince the boy of the error in his thinking. None managed to get through to him, and so they eventually gave up, smiling and walking away.

There are times when there is just no reasoning with a stubborn individual. Matters not what statistics say, science has proven, or facts substantiate. When it comes right down to it, these individuals are so married to their own notions that they can’t see the truth staring them in the face.

I’m proud that my son and the other students tried to enlighten the boy by regurgitating actual facts and medical science findings to him. That it left little to no impression on the boy…. Well, there’s not much to be done about that. At least they tried. And when it became clear that the boy was not interested in the truth, only in proving himself right, I’m proud that my son and the other students decided to walk away.

No comments:

Post a Comment