Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Since my surgery last Monday, I’ve been reminded to appreciate the simple things. I remember this same feeling after other surgeries I’ve had over the years. And each time, I’m grateful. Most might be upset or frustrated by having their life go from a million miles per hour to that of a snail’s pace where the tiniest task becomes a challenge. But not me. I’m thankful for the opportunity to reset my priorities—focus on the simplest things.

Unable to take a shower until my stitches were removed yesterday, I relished finally being able to have a stream of glorious water run over me instead of doing a piece-meal bathing. And then there was last night, when I figured a way to duplicate my being bent over at a forty-five degree angle while sleeping on my back instead of having to sleep in a reclined sitting position. Being able to get in an out of a car became an instant chore after my surgery. But with each passing day, I’m learning new ways to get in an out of vehicles with less discomfort and more ease. Having running water when I use the toilet or wash my hands has become an almost thrill after having to go without for four and a half days due to a broken main water pipe. And each day that passes, I find it easier to write. Though there are still lapses in being struck with what to write, the thoughts do come easier than they did in the first few days following my surgery. Tonight I reclaimed more of my regular schedule today when I attended my weekly writing critique group meeting. Man, that felt good. It was wonderful to resume going to something that’s such an integral part of my writing routine and process.

Slowly but surely, I’m reclaiming more of my pre-surgery life. And along the way, I’m relearning how to appreciate the little things on a monumental level. And that’s a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment